We are complete font geeks here (curvy little ampersand sir? like a tall riser do you? ooh. Partial to a bit of Grotesk sir? Mmm? Suits you sir) – so we’re making our Fridays all about the font. ⁠ ⁠

Or typeface.⁠ ⁠

“What’s the difference?” We hear you implore…⁠

Well we’re glad you asked because we can clear up that (actually quite irritating) point of confusion for you….⁠ ⁠

A typeface is simply the name of a style of lettering. Eg ‘Irma’ which is the typeface used in the image here.⁠ ⁠ The FONT (used to be called a ‘fount’ even up to the 70s) refers to the complete set of letters of a typeface including punctuation marks that a printer would use in a printing press. There would be duplicates of the letters with more of the popular letters like ‘E’ for example. ⁠

One typeface has many different FONTS, using the above example, the font in the image here is Irma Text Standard Black Italic.⁠ ⁠

The words are used interchangeably today, but if I ask, “what typeface is that?” I expect the answer ‘Helvetica’, and if I ask “what font is that?” I want to know what weight, if it’s bold, condensed, standard etc and in what size, eg Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed 14pt.⁠ ⁠I told you – we’re a little obsessive.

So there you go. I’m glad we cleared that up.

If your font, or typeface is getting a little tired and needs a re-think, drop us a line to see how we can help!

Follow #FONTFRIDAY on Instagram or Facebook for more facts and musings on the world of letters and type; if you’re that way inclined ?⁠ ⁠

#fontfriday #graphicdesign #printing #lettering #calligraphy #designers #fonts #fontgeek⁠